- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.cWnu8Osl.dpuf Solo Mom Takes Flight: Hilton Head, SC--The First Solo Flight

Sunday 3 February 2013

Hilton Head, SC--The First Solo Flight

Bundled up Baby in winter in Hilton Head, South Carolina
The very first trip I took solo was also the only long trip I took as a mother of one. Will was 6 months old at the time and we decided that winter in Toronto wasn't going to happen that year. Truth be told as a new stay-at-home-mom I was more than a little lonely and bored so the thought of spending four cold winter months indoors frightened me more than going somewhere unknown with an infant. After researching many U.S. locations, I settled on taking him to Hilton Head, South Carolina.

The two of us packed enough for a family of four and after finding a month long condo rental, we were off on our first adventure. We flew into Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport on a sunny Georgia morning and learned our first vital lesson, Georgia and South Carolina are not particularly warm in January and February. I also learned the following about flying solo with a 6-month old:
  1. Even though the flight is free for your child, you might want to book a seat and bring a car seat. This depends on your baby. I have found that infants are familiar with their carseats and frankly its easier than holding them for four hours (especially if you have the bladder of a new mom);
  2. The airline washrooms are a little daunting but rest assured there is a change-table on board and the flight attendants will help you if you need assistance. My rule of thumb- Bring at least one diaper per hour that you are in flight;
  3. It may seem logical to pack all your stuff in one big bag so that you can drag the bag and carseat around the airport but you will likely be charged for your bag being too heavy. Try and pack two separate bags if possible and stack them on your way to check-in or pay an airport porter to help you; and
  4. Most importantly don't forget to pack something for yourself in your carry-on. Your baby will inevitably fall asleep. Pack a book, a snack and a magazine for you. Remember you are on vacation too.
     Before boarding your flight, read my review of gear that can help get you and your child or children through the airport as easily as possible. Also check out my post on renting baby gear, to help figure out how much you really need to bring with you.

Hilton Head, South Carolina

When people ask me if I loved Hilton Head my answer is usually no. The reasons for this answer have very little to do with Hilton Head and a lot to do with bad timing. First, it was cold. Cold enough that we went to the beach in tracksuits. We rented a condo with an indoor pool knowing the weather wouldn't be as kind as Florida weather but in the end it was still to cold to swim even indoors. Secondly, as a Torontonian, I am used to walking almost everywhere. Hilton Head is beautiful but because its is split up into so many gated communities it is difficult to walk for any distance with a stroller. If you are going to visit, I recommend renting in one of the bigger communities with parks inside the gates.

Hilton Head also has several good points. My favourite gem was the Hilton Head Library which is run mostly by volunteers who love children. Will and I would often stop by to use the internet and attend story time. It is a great place to hang out with a child and I remember it fondly. Hilton Head also had great seafood, a cool lighthouse and beautiful ocean views.

Savannah, Georgia

One of our favourite things to do was to take day trips to Savannah, Georgia which was approximately a 45 minute drive from Hilton Head. The city is mainly walkable and most of its sites are recognizable from the city's starring role in the film Forrest Gump.  My don't miss recommendations are Bonaventure CemeteryTybee Island and the candy shops of River street. For the brave, Savannah also has a National Wildlife Refuge that is home to some very large alligators.

Bonadventure Cemetery

Alligator at the Wildlife Refuge

Hilton Head is also only a two hour drive to Charleston, South Carolina which is a beautiful city with an incredible aquarium.

As I write this, I think I may return to Hilton Head with both of my children and give it another shot. I remember thinking the whole time I was there that if it were summer, Hilton Head would be incredible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave it here. I would love to hear from you.